Golden Visa: residency by investment
Spain launched its golden visa programme in 2013. An investment of €500,000 in real estate will gain family residency. The Spanish investor visa can be renewed every two years. After five years it is possible to gain permanent residency and after ten years - citizenship. It is not necessary to live in Spain in order to retain and renew the residency visa permit.
Here are some details:
- A minimum investment of €500,000 in Spanish property.
- The total investment can be the purchase of several properties (the purchase of land only is not acceptable).
- The Spanish residency visa may be granted to immediate family members (spouse and children up to 18 years).
- No minimum stay requirement to renew the visa (ie. living in Spain is optional) and no minimum stay means no necessity to be tax resident.
- The visa will be renewable for the first five years (the visa is renewable after the first year for a new period of 2 years. After the third year it is again renewable for a new period of 2 years, and after the fifth, the residents can become permanent) If you chose not to take permanent residency, you can continue to renew the visa as before.
- Permanent residency can be applied for after five years.
- The initial property investment can be sold once permanent residency has been obtained. (pending confirmation!)
- The Visa allows unlimited travel throughout the EU Schengen visa zone (for a maximum period of 30 days to a different UE country than the one granting the residency visa.)
- The application should take a maximum 20 days (excluding time required to obtain and legalise necessary documents).
- The investment must be made before the visa application.
- Most investments will result in a positive acceptance (usually only a criminal record will prevent acceptance).
- Citizenship in Spain can be applied for after five further years of permanent residency provided individuals are residing in Spain, on a permanent basis, for five years.
- EU citizenship is automatic with Spanish citizenship
- At this point (ie after 10 years) a family can live, work and study anywhere in Europe.